Monday, March 31, 2014

Cabinet Doors Repurposed into Dairy Signs

Where has the time gone.
This past week has flown by, but it always does when you are at the beach!!!
 
My husband surprised me with an unexpected blessing.
He was asked to deliver a car to Fort Myers Beach, Florida.
We were only responsible for our food and lodging,
they were covering gas, a rental car and paying him for his time driving down and back!
We couldn't pass up the opportunity and so we were off.
It was a long drive, but sooo worth it!
 
This beach girl was back in her element!
We were able to spend a lot of time walking and relaxing along Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel and Captiva Island.
We enjoyed great meals at waterfront restaurants and soaked up as much sunshine and warmth as we could before heading home to more freezing temps.
 
 
Now we're back home and back to working on projects.
The project I decided to work on first was repurposing two old kitchen cabinet doors.
I picked them up at a Habitat Restore in Blue Ridge, Georgia
a couple weeks ago, while visiting my mom.
  
 
 
They started off looking like this.
 
 
I removed the hardware, filled in the holes where the hardware had been and sanded the doors.

  
Then I painted them white and hand rubbed an antique finish over the white.
I also painted the carved out edge with a black paint pen.
 
Then I began to design a DAIRY sign using my Silhouette Cameo to create stencils
from vinyl with adhesive backing.

 
 Once I had all of the vinyl stencils created and adhered in place to the door,
I painted over them with black paint, waited for it to dry and peeled the stencils off.
 

I lightly distressed the entire sign, especially the edges,
to give it more of an aged look.

 

 
 
 
 I was "winging" the design on the first sign
and decided to make the second sign basically the same design,
with a few changes.
 
  
I think I like the second design with just the cow and farm fresh
better than the first sign with the cow and the milk can.

 
 What do you think?
 
  
Do you like the milk can sign better...
  
 
...or the farm fresh sign better?
 
 
 
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
 
Linking to:
Knick of Time
Confessions of a Plate Addict
My Repurposed Life
 

8 comments:

  1. I love them both! How FUN you were able to visit those great beaches! We are blessed here in Florida :) you were missed!

    Have a super week!

    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are blessed in Florida with some beautiful beaches! It was wonderful to be able to visit. Thank you Sherri a d I hope you have a blessed week also:)

      Delete
  2. Farm Fresh is my favorite, but I love them both:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are wonderful and creative but I do like the farm fresh better. Where will you hang them?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AnnMarie, thank you and they are both in my Etsy shop. My home is a small log cabin, just under 800 square feet and I just don't have room for very many things. There isn't a lot of wall space between the windows, the doors and taller furniture placement. On the bright side of a small home, you keep only what you need and use regularly. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi there! I love what you did with the door! Any chance you have done or will do a tutorial on everything about the Silhouette machine? I am totally new to this and have no idea what it is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa, Thank you for stopping by and for the compliment!
    I haven't done a tutorial on the Silhouette yet. I am pretty new to it as well. This is my 4th and 5th project. I started out by looking up a tutorial on YouTube on how to use vinyl to create stencils. There are a lot of videos that walk you through it and there is a help guide in Silhouette that I find helpful. It is fairly easy to figure out, however, I did ruin a few pieces of vinyl trying to get the sizing right. It has been trial and error for me. I have also learned that other brands of vinyl will work too, not just the Silhouette brand. I've used the Cricut vinyl and ordered some from My Vinyl Direct.com. I hope this helps a little. Also, I use clear contact paper in place of the vinyl transfer paper. There is so much you can do and I'm just tapping the surface. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete