Sunday, December 1, 2013

Burlap and a Dollar Tree Ornament

During a recent trip to the Dollar Tree to pick up a gift bag,
 a package of 6 glittery snowflake ornaments made their way into my cart.
 
 
Believe it or not, this creation was not what I had in mind when I purchased the snowflakes.
 
I'll get around to creating my original idea and post about it later...
 
...but for now,
3 frames, craft spray glue, leftover burlap and white paint helped me pull this project together.
 
 
I removed the backing and glass from the frames and cut burlap to fit the backing.
 
 
using craft spray adhesive, I glued the burlap to the backing.
 
 
I also used the craft adhesive to glue the glittery snowflake ornament onto one of the burlap pieces
 
 
Using my computer, I printed a J and a Y onto a manilla folder to create stencils,
 
 
 by cutting them out with an exacto knife and painting over them with white paint.
 
 
 
I also sanded and painted the wood frames with the same white paint.
Once everything was dry, the frames got a heavy distressing and a clear matte finish.
 
 The glass and burlap backing were put back into the frames to create this JOY sign
 
 
 
 Here's another frame collage project that I used the same burlap and stencil technique on.
 
 
I have a few more frames in my stash so I may be making another sign or two.
Oh, and the original snowflake ornament project...
...I'll get to those this week, so check back in a few days to see what I make with them.
 
Thanks for stopping by and let me know if you have made any projects with these fun ornaments.
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
Linking to:
Uncommon Designs Online
Knick of Time Interiors
Between Naps on the Porch
Cedar Hill Farmhouse
The DIY Dreamer
The Pin Junkie
52 Mantels
Common Ground
My Repurposed Life
 Debbiedoos
I Should be Mopping the Floor
My Love 2 Create

46 comments:

  1. This is such a super cute and quick craft! I have a few frames from the GW - I may have to "copy cat" you on this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoAnn. That's where my frames came from too :)

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty, I love using burlap. Great use of the ornament too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Burlap is definitely one of my favs too.

      Delete
  3. What a clever idea! Love the combo of the burlap and snowflake for the "o" ! So pretty! Thank you for sharing at Monday Funday! Featuring this later this week on our FB page! ;) Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! I'll be looking forward to it!!!

      Delete
  4. I have that same snowflake and never would've thought to use it like that! I love this!! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I'm sure however you have used your snowflakes they looked fabulous. You always have great decorating ideas!

      Delete
  5. What a clever and inspired DIY! I love this idea. Pinning it for future reference....so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your JOY pictures! So simple, yet so cute! You have such beautiful ideas!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your kind note!

      Delete
  8. Hey Adina! It's Deonna from the Child at Heart blog! I love this post and would love for you to link up to the Merriest Blog Hop and share your creations!
    http://www.thechildatheartblog.com/2013/11/the-merriest-blog-hop-week-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deonna,
      Thank you for the compliment and I'll be right over!

      Delete
  9. I love this idea. I sure home the small frames I wanted to get rid of are still in the garage!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you still have the frames too. I debated getting rid of these frames too, but I'm glad I hung onto them.

      Delete
  10. I pinned this to our junkers united board--it has been very popular! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky - thank you so much for pinning. I'm off to check out this junkers board!

      Delete
  11. LOVE this…may need to copy!!…please come visit…new post on bringing in the greens!!…Happy decorating, Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how your project turned out! The ornament is a perfect touch with the burlap.
    catching you!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. I'll be stopping back by your party to check out more of the creativity!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this project. In fact, I pinned it the other day before the party. So glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this!!! Great job! Can you point me towards your other project you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this!!! Great job! Can you point me towards your other project you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I <3 this super sweet diy series! Pinned Following you now:) Stop over. I posted doily pillowcase to this year's dollar party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How pretty! What a fun project! I love how you used the snowflake for the "o"! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! This is just the perfect mix of rustic charm! Just love it! Pinning this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did a project similar to this with painted dollar store frames, but I like the way yours turned out much better! Thanks for sharing this great project at The Pin Junkie. It was featured in this week’s Christmas craft roundup. http://www.thepinjunkie.com/2013/12/christmas-crafts-and-printables.html I hope you’ll stop by to grab a featured button and share your best Christmas recipes at tonight’s party for another chance to be featured! Wishing you very happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how this turned out!! It is so easy but so so cute!! I would love it if you shared this at our wowza weekend link party!! I hope you have a wonderful day!

    http://mylove2create.blogspot.com/2013/12/wowza-weekend-link-party-34.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really cute with the three frames! Enjoy the season!
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute. I'm going to make these. I'm trying to find a good font. Do you remember which font you used?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just want to say thank you for this! I was so inspired that I did it in my home this year and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it! Just curious about size, though many would likely work, is this in 5x7 frames?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Yes, I believe these frames were 5x7s.

      Delete
  26. Love your idea... I have some beautiful old crocheted doilies that I'm going to use for the "O" instead of the snowflake ornament. Great way to repurpose my grandmother's hand made work. Making another with the word "SNOW". THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful idea Aprile! I love being able to display family heirlooms in creative ways. I'm sure it will be beautiful and make you smile every time you look at it.

    ReplyDelete