Saturday, October 26, 2013

Bottle Brush Trees and Old Wooden Spools

 
I picked up a bag of old wooden thread spools at a flea market last week. There were 9 of them, 4 of one design and 5 of another. The 4 shorter, fatter spools have graphics from a textile factory in Shelby NC on the tops and bottoms of them.
 
 
I had a few ideas of what I thought I would use the spools for.
My first thought was to use them as hooks on a coat/hat rack, but then the cooler weather changed my direction.
 
I decided to jump ahead a little to CHRISTMAS!!!!
 
Why not add small Christmas trees to each spool? I dug through my craft stash and found a bag of bottle brush trees that I picked up earlier in the year at a Goodwill.
 
What a great combination - bottle brush trees and old wooden spools!
 
 
This was a super easy project.
 
Step 1 - cut up a wine cork to push over the wire at the base of the tree and also to fit inside of the holes on the spools.
 
 
Step 2 - hot glued the cork into place inside of the spool
 
Step 3 - pick something to wrap around the spool for decoration and hot glue it on. I wanted to make a few sets of trees, so I used different things. I made two with sheet music, two with a creamy white duck cloth fabric and five with red ticking fabric.
 
Step 4 - decorate. I chose two tiny plastic deer to add to the sheet music trees and rusty stars to add to the others. (again, just a little hot glue)
 
Step 5 - your finished, now blend them into your ironstone collection in your hutch or amongst your holiday decor around the house.
 
Here they are up close:
 
Sheet music and tiny Deer 
 
 
 
Creamy White and Rusty Stars
 
 
 
Red Ticking and Rusty Stars
 

 
Aren't they just darling!
 
Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your day!
 
 
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
Linking to:
A Night Owl Blog
Six Sisters Stuff
Knick of Time Interiors
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
The DIY Dreamer
52 Mantels
The Newlywed Pilgrimage
The Pin Junkie
Design Dining and Diapers
Funky Junk Interiors

2 comments:

  1. very nice! I think the sheet music ones are my favorite--love those tiny deer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get the tiny deer from?

    ReplyDelete